Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Blog #2: Local Interviews on Nuclear Power

Kyle:
I chose to interview my uncle Jerry. He is a lifetime resident of Salem, resides on the water so that the power plant is constantly visible. His house has been in the family for many generations.  Jerry is also a businessman in Salem and recently ran for Councilor of Ward 5 in Salem and was runner-up. Jerry is a very active and well-received member of the Salem community and I felt he was a good person to interview on the subject because of his knowledge of Salem.

Is this a problem you think is important?  Why/ Why not?
“It is a problem? I mean…yeah its not good. But until people are totally onboard with alternative energy sources we must rely on what we have. All we have done is burned coal because nobody has told us otherwise. Until there is government policy to shut these plants down, it will still be there. I know this sounds like I don’t care, but I do. I just know that the U.S. is in a recession right now, we are in a voting year, and policies, yes, could potentially happen in the future. I just hope I do not see health effects from being a resident of Salem my whole life.

Do you think others in our community this is an important problem? why/ why not?
It’s funny. I think surrounding communities have just as much a problem with the power plant as Salem residents. The campaign against the power plant has definitely intensified over the last 5-8 years. I support it.

What policy, if any, does government now have to deal with this problem?
The government needs to step in and devise a plan to provide more jobs and money for technology. That way, the development of alternate energy can grow and grow. Then, the U.S. needs to commit to a plan of action to do away with old ways of providing power. This is no small task if you think about it.

While it was hard to read what side Jerry was on about the power plant, he did know that it should be removed. He did support local groups who are working to close the plant. When I told him that the plant would be closing in 2014, he replied “This a very good thing.” I learned that even a lifetime citizen from Salem can overlook a power plant right in the front yard. However, in Jerry’s case, his perspective on the issue is legitimate. He’s older and has never seen efforts  made to close the plant until now. He clearly knows that nuclear power is not the best for the environment, but understands that clean energy will take time to develop. His views were informative and provided good opinion. 




Brad:
Donald, Salem Property Owner


Do you think nuclear power and pollution is an important issue?
“It is an issue, but there are more pressing issues in our community. The power plants are regulated like streets are patrolled.”

Do you think others think this is a serious issue?
“Most people probably realize there is controversy, but they don’t see a huge issue as there haven’t been any serious problems lately that affect people around here.”

Do you know of any policies in place? (after the question was answered, some of the policies were explained to Donald)
“I know many companies, power plants included, are allowed to pollute, but how or why, I really have no idea.”

What are some advantages and disadvantages to these policies?
“Well with the permits there is good and bad. This limits the pollution, but on the other hand there still is pollution, and with this less work is put towards reducing the actual emissions when you can just buy a permit.”

How might the policy be improved?
“there really isn’t a legitimate way to improve this method.”

In that case, what policy would you put in place?
“There should be a systematic elimination of  permits which would cause companies to spend their own R & D (research and development) money into finding more efficient ways of producing energy. Necessity is often the engine of change.”

What disagreements about this exist in the community?
“I would think most people would do away with pollution if they could, but it is not that simple. There are a lot of other factors such as the jobs, energy created, and alternatives. This is where people will disagree.”

Doing this interview, I gained an insight into what people see as an issue. The pollution that is caused by power plants is not always directly visibly to everyone. They do not see the issue as a big problem because there is not a direct effect on their lives. If people gain more insight into the issue, they are more likely to be invested in it, as Donald became. The key is information, as people become informed, they develop opinions.

Ashley:
I interviewed Patricia, a life-long North Shore resident and parent of three small children.  After knowing Patricia for a few years, I have found her to be an invested parent conscious of the safety and health of her children.  In addition, she tends to be a believer in all natural, organic means of living.  I was curious what her standpoint would be about nuclear power plants, particularly the Salem plant, which is visible from her home.  Although always trying to achieve a healthier lifestyle for her and her family, it appears the power plant is a looming evil lurking in the skyline.
 
Is this a problem you think is important?
"Yeah, I’ve always been nervous about the effects of that plant.  I think we should be very concerned about what plants like that are doing to the world around us.  I want to know that the air I breathe is safe and that water I take my kids to with the plant plain in sight is safe for swimming.  I just can’t imagine that anything like that doesn’t have toxic effects for us.  I’m sure it was a beneficial power source at one point, but is that even the case anymore?  The building itself looks like it is falling apart – I doubt it meets safety standards.  If it does, it doesn’t meet my standards as a parent."

Do you think others in our community view this as an important problem?
"I’m not sure everyone thinks about it.  We are used to looking out our window or going to the beach and just seeing it.  The kids even think it looks cool at night.  So, I think a lot of people have gotten used to the sight of it and have forgotten its purpose or its effects.  Then again, I know there are people out there who think of it more than I do and have even stronger negative reactions than myself.  I’m worried about it, but haven’t done anything about it.  I’m grateful to those out there taking action."

What policy, if any, does government now have to deal with this problem?  Advantages?
"I know that they are planning on closing it soon.  I heard that should happen by 2014 with maybe some parts closing sooner than that.  Obviously, it would be my goal to have the whole thing shut down as soon as possible.  That way whatever harmful effects to my health and that of my kids can be put to a stop."

What are the disadvantages?
"As grateful as I am to see an end to this power plant in sight, I can’t help but think that so much damage is already done.  I also would rather not have to wait until 2014 for the plant to close considering that is three years away.  I understand the law needs to give the business time to shut down and there are certain procedures to follow…I just wish we could move more quickly for the sake of our health.  Health should rate above money."

How might this policy be improved?
"Like I said, if there was any way to have this closing happen sooner – that would be ideal.  I hope they are looking into all local power plants and using whatever research they can to determine the exact health consequences of these plants and using that as an incentive to find other sources of power."

Based on my interview, it seems that an average Salem resident like Patricia knows that a power plant is a dangerous building for both the environment and our local families.  However, without being aware as to how harmful the plant is, individuals are likely to wait around for the legally enforced shut-down.  Like Patricia, I find myself grateful that there are others out there doing more than worrying, complaining, and waiting.  It is most likely because of those activists that this change in the right direction of closing the power plants is happening as soon as it is.

What do YOU think?? 



No comments:

Post a Comment